Ads on Top Page

Friday, October 5, 2007

My Memories with Radio in Village -II

In sports I used to listen Cricket commentary and Tennis commentary at that time. In Men’s Tennis Boris Becker, John Mecnero and Stephen Edberg were hot favorite. Superb matches were played among them. In Women Tennis S. Graf, Navratilova and Sabatini were my favorite. I like the game of Graf but as a player I like Sabatini as she was very cute, lovely height, beautiful eyes and nice features. In 1983 when India won Cricket World Cup, I remember some moments. In the village mostly people slept by 8 or 9 PM at that time. After finishing dinner I was lying on the cot, listening commentary and the West Indies were 3 down and I got asleep, when in the morning I got up I was thrilled to know that India have won the World Cup…huuh what a moment it was.. so much crazy.
I also have a sad memory on Radio and it was the death of Rajiv Gandhi. In the morning I came to know that he was killed in a bomb blast. I went on the roof of my house (in the village we have big house and open one) with Radio in my hand waiting for the 8 AM news, when the news was being read I still feel the tears were flowing from my eyes and I wept and wept alone on the roof. I loved that leader so much.
I also used to listen foreign Radio Stations on SW i.e. Short Wave Radio. In most of the countries Hindi Services are being broadcasted through SW. My favorite foreign radio Stations were: BBC ki Hindi Seva, Radio Tashkent, Radio Peking (now Beijing), Radio Deutsche Welle(Germany), Voice of America, Radio Japan, Radio Varitas Asia (Philippines) Radio Masco and Radio Berlin International (it was when the Germany was not united) and some more. I wrote them letters through their embassies in India about their programs, asked questions about those countries and in return they send beautiful badges, calendars, material and postcards of that countries. When I wrote letters to them I used to write in my diary when I wrote a particular letter and was eagerly waited for their reply or their materials. It was something special feelings. This diary is still with me. When I got something from these countries my friends asked me how I got that and I told them then they also started listening these services. Crazy days…. after leaving village all those have been left behind and also the Radio… its so long since I have listened on Radio, even I don’t have radio now. Sometimes I think what I have enjoyed my children will not. They don’t know about the Radio, what they know is FM i.e. Faltu Masala.

No comments: