Ads on Top Page

Sunday, October 7, 2007

Village Night on the Field

Today I am going to tell you my experience of working at night in village field.

In village there was shortage of electricity, its not like we have electricity in city. There was turn allocated for electricity, a week it was in day shift and the next it was in the night shift. Therefore, for watering crops we have to go to field at night also.
I am telling you about winter nights। The electricity comes at around 10 PM, therefore, I with my uncle (mamaji) packed ourselves with warm clothes, took our tea in thermos and left for the field around 9 PM. our field was 20 minutes away from home.

In village people went to bed around 8 PM, so the night was calm…and dogs have also gone to sleep. The moon was shining in the sky and milkyway was clearly visible. It was marvelous to see full moon in the village; one can see a distant object clearly. I don’t think in cities we get a glimpse of the milkyway. The kids only read in books about milkyway though I have shown my kids in village. In cities we hardly get that beautiful scene.
When the electricity came I switched on the motor and the water starts flowing towards the field, which was approx. 1 km away from the well. So after switching on the motor, we left for the filed. (how we water the crops read my earlier post My Memories with Radio in Village 1). After reaching field we removed our shoes… ouch the sand was very cold but the water was warm so we put our foot in the water. After watering an hour suddenly the electricity was off (it was usual in village). It came after five minutes.
My mamaji told me to go to the well and switch on the motor. I returned back to the well and switched on the motor and started back towards the field….suddenly when I was passing by through another well (which was not ours) something struck in my mind and reminds me of the person to whom this well belongs to. The person to whom this well belongs was died sometimes back and the people’s belief was that this man (soul) was visible at night near his well….oh my God….. in winters I was terribly terrified and got wet. Though it was a moon night and can see distant things visible, b’cos crops were small. Somehow remembering my God I reached on the field and prayed that the light should not go again….otherwise I have to go again near this well. I told my mamaji about that he told me “there is nothing like this, it’s all useless” (“aisa kuchh nahi hota ye sab bakwas hai.”)
Still when I visit village and passed through this well it reminds me of that incident. Though I don’t believe in ghost stories but in village “yes” sometimes I get terrified. Because ‘jiske saath hota hai wohi jaanta hai…’

Do you have any such incidents? Share with me through your comments.

2 comments:

SoakingNKnowledge said...

are there still certain times for using electricity? how does this impact blogging, what is your computer use life like?

Champ said...

Oh yea, marenda still people live in villages faces such drama of electricity. Sometimes they have electricity sometimes they don't have. Regarding impact of blogging, at present I am living in a city so don't have such problem here. Thanks for sharing your views. YOu can read such more posts on my blogs.